Fernando Meira wrote:

Hi Tero,
what I meant with "redo my partitions" was in the way that I will expand my gentoo partition (or try to).
I have:
# df -h
/dev/hda4             4.6G  3.8G  803M  83% /
udev                  252M  808K  252M   1% /dev
/dev/hda5              23G   20G  3.3G  86% /mnt/share
/dev/hda1             9.8G  8.0G  1.8G  82% /mnt/windows
none                  252M     0  252M   0% /dev/shm

 - erase hda1 (win$) and merge with with hda4.
- somehow rearrange hda5 (which is FAT) and split it 2, and merge a part to hda4.

The question is...can you live without the windows partition? if you don't need it I would look at this:

1) Merge hda1 and hda4. Assuming this is desktop box that should be plenty of space for the system and applications 2) Create a /boot partition (assuming you don't currently have one on your box that wasn't mounted when you did the df). This way if your system crashes at least /boot will not be corrupted. 3) Convert hda5 to ext3|reiserfs|jfs|mature non-fat fs of choice. Mount it as /home. 4) Consider creating a swap partition. Even if you have plenty of RAM, in my experience Linux just runs better with a swap partition mounted. I would strongly suggest that you do a full backup before doing any of this. I know there are partition resizing and reformatting utilities but they I wouldn't trust them without a backup.
HTH

--
spr