On 13/5/2011, at 8:32pm, Mick wrote:
>>> $ date +"%l:%M%P"
>>> 8:39
>>>
>>> That's the wall-clock time (p.m.) in my local time-zone. What Americans
>>> call daylight savings time, though how they imagine any time is saved I
>>> don't know.
>>
>> From `man date`:
>>
>>       %l     hour ( 1..12)

>>       %M     minute (00..59)
>>
>>       %p     locale's equivalent of either AM or PM; blank if not known
>>
>>       %P     like %p, but lower case
>>
>> I'd be curious to compare with the output of `date +"%r"` on your system,
>> but you probably actually want to set:
>>
>>  LANG="en_GB.UTF-8"
>>  LC_TIME="POSIX"
>>
>> in order to get the correct results.
>
> Hmm ... I've just set my locale as you suggest and get:
>
> $ date +"%l:%M%P"
> 8:29
>
> (it's 20:29 right now)
>
> and
>
> $ date +"%r"
> 08:31:28

Sorry, didn't see this message before sending my reply to your previous one.

Yes, it should say "pm" at the end, but did you reboot before checking?

I believe these are sourced at startup in a way that renders this necessary.

You *may* be able to `export LC_TIME="POSIX"` in a shell, but I won't swear to
it.

Stroller.