On Tue, Oct 11 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> For me, gnome 3.2 has been quite a regression over 3.0.
>
> Weird; for me it works so much better than 3.0.

>> gdm-3.2.0-r1 crashes and when I revert to the 3.0 gdm, I get to the
>> login screen but then gnome-shell crashes.  I tried to downgrade to
>> gnome-shell-3.0.2-r1, but that needs libgnome-menu, which is not in
>> portage/layman.
>>
>> The crash of gdm is described in bug #385525.
>>
>> The crash of gnome-shell is described in the following .xsession-errors
>> file (tracker-miner-fs.log and tracker-store.log are empty).
>>
>> any help would be appreciated.
>> allan
>
> Are you running the updated git of gnome-overlay? I had troubles with
> gnome-settings-daemon until a couple of days.

I am running the gnome overlay.  I didn't know it had git inside.
I am running git 1.7.7.  The only packages that won't compile for me
(caught by revdep-rebuild are gpointing-device-settings-1.5.1-r2 and
totem-plparser-2-32.6).  I believe these bugs are not related to the
above.

> Can you try to start GNOME with a clean config (no ~/.config, no
> ~/.local, no ~/.gconf, no ~/.gnome*). Just backup your current config
> and remove it from $HOME, or try to start GNOME with a dummy new user.

I can't get to the machine tonight, but will try it tomorrow.

> Also, in my case, having gnome-shell extensions installed caused me
> problems when upgrading.

I don't have the extensions installed.

thanks,
allan