On Wednesday, 12. October 2011 16:58:37 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> > When you do layman --sync-all, sometimes the ebuilds are updated, but
> > with the same version. Try to recompile every ebuild in the overlay
> > that you have installed in your system. At least, try to recompile
> > gdm, gnome-shell, and all of its direct dependencies, the packages in
> > COMMON_DEPEND, RDEPEND and DEPEND) in the gnome-shell-3.2.0-r1 ebuild.
> > Minus the use enabled where you don't set the use flag, of course.
>
> Recompiles done.  No change
>    1.  If gdm maintains its gnome-shell use flag, it crashes
>    2.  If gdm has -gnome-shell in package.use, it runs
>        but gnome-shell (or something else invoked on login with
>        an "empty user") crashes
>
> > Also: modify /etc/gdm/custom.conf and in the [debug] key set
> > "Enable=true". And modify /usr/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop and
> > replace Exec=gnome-session with Exec=gnome-session --debug. Then a lot
> > more info will be available in ~/.xsession-errors, and we will know
> > more.
>
> Done.  Output below (naturally this is with the gnome-shell use flag
> disabled.

gnome-shell segfaults.
I remember some problems with gnome-shell and GL from the dri-devel-ML.
What video-card are you using? Drivers/version?
Is there any other WM you can start, execute
gnome-shell --replace
in a console and dump the output here?
Could you try running gnome in "fallback-mode"?
Afaik you can enable this with
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback

> thanks again,
> allan

Best,
Michael