On Thu, Oct 13 2011, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 6:20 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure what to do now other than wait/hope that 3.2.1 (to be released
>> next week) makes it to the overlay and is better for me.
>
> That's an option, of course. I don't know what else you could try;
> maybe try the 9999 gnome-shell version? I know the crash is happening
> in spidermonkey, but perhaps te live version of gnome-shell avoids
> that code path?
>
> The code for 3.2.1 cannot be *that* different from the live version.
> Maybe it's worth a try.
>
> Regards.

-9999 didn't help.  I still get the msg in dmesg about gnome-shell
 failing.  I went back to 3.2.0-r1.

Another difficulty has arising.
I don't seem to be able to get out of fallback mode.  Indeed
even the command I used to get into fallback before is failing now.

I think this should get me out of fallback

oldlap ~ # gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome
** (process:3534): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch
--autolaunch=a80a835bfa47bbd35544058f0000000d --binary-syntax --close-stderr'
exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization
failed.\n
(msg repeated and snipped by allan)

and this is just the command I successfully executed a day or two ago
that now fails

oldlap ~ # gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback
** (process:3540): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch
--autolaunch=a80a835bfa47bbd35544058f0000000d --binary-syntax --close-stderr'
exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization
failed.\n
(snipped)

I should add that the first one above (trying to get back to straight
gnome) was tried with the gnome-shell flag for gdm both set and unset.
The failure is the same

allan