On Wed, Oct 12 2011, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> gnome-shell segfaults.
> I remember some problems with gnome-shell and GL from the dri-devel-ML.
> What video-card are you using? Drivers/version?
> Is there any other WM you can start, execute
> gnome-shell --replace
> in a console and dump the output here?
> Could you try running gnome in "fallback-mode"?
> Afaik you can enable this with
> gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback

Actually the gnome-shell segfault is the 2nd problem.  gdm crashes with
Oh no, a problem has occurred unless its gnome-shell use flag is
disabled, which could possibly be the cause of gnome-shell failing.

Canek has suggested we attack the gdm problem (see other msgs in this
thread) and that is the current plan.  Unfortunately we are still not
there.

In bug 385525, those who needed -gnome-shell for gdm could then not get
gnome-shell to run (i.e., just like me).

It does seem that many are successfully running gdm so I must have
something wrong in my setup.  What use flags did you build gdm with.
Here is mine
     Installed versions:  3.2.0-r1[1](05:47:00 PM 10/12/2011)(accessibility
consolekit elibc_glibc gnome-shell introspection ipv6 tcpd xklavier -debug
-fprint -gnome-keyring -selinux -smartcard -test -xinerama)

thanks for the help,
allan