On Thu, Oct 13 2011, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:

> hmm, for sure your problem is not video-related then.  gjs is the
> javascript-bindings for gnome...  You could try keeping spidermonkey
> at 1.8.5 and (re-)build the latest version of gjs.  google-ing your
> problem clearly shows: you are not alone. Sadly I was not able to find
> a solution for your problem yet as most others use ancient versions
> and updates solved it for them.

I tried this (see msg to canek) but it gnome-shell still shows a general
protection msg in dmsg

oldlap ~ # dmesg | grep gnome-shell
gnome-shell[3302] general protection ip:b687ddc2 sp:bf8623e4 error:0 in
libmozjs185.so.1.0.0[b6843000+2ca000]
gnome-shell[3456] general protection ip:b68d1dc2 sp:bfdf4de4 error:0 in
libmozjs185.so.1.0.0[b6897000+2ca000]
oldlap ~ #

thanks again for helping,
allan