Congestion isn't the only reason to use TCP and a VPN.

3G smartphone network (Optus in Oz) has a large number of duplicate and dropped
packets - openvpn performance over TCP is much better.  Similar case with a
cheap French network while on holiday there.  This was an extreme case though
with non VPN traffic very poor as well.

Otherwise use openvpn with fqdn's and not IP numbers then use ospf across them
with suitable route metrics to either share or prefer a route.  Works well with
dynamic IP's from my ISP so should be ok in your scenario.  You could also use
openvpns route push if you dont need complex dynamic routing - this works
better than ospf on bad links anyway.

BillK