On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 08:56:48 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> I'll run the update again today, paying more attention, and see what
> happens.

What happened is it broke again, with no obvious signs of the cause.
conf-update reported only trivial changes to three files.

% su
su: Authentication failure

It didn't even ask for a password. All the syslog contained was

Apr 20 13:17:19 hactar su[27738]: pam_authenticate: Authentication failure
Apr 20 13:17:19 hactar su[27738]: FAILED su for root by nelz
Apr 20 13:17:19 hactar su[27738]: - /dev/pts/3 nelz:root

Which is about as informative as "Doh!".

This was in Konsole, switching to a VC, entering my username (or root)
gave five reports of "Login incorrect" followed by "Maximum number of
tries exceeded". Once again, no password request. Could this be the
problem, that it is trying to authenticate me without, for whatever
reason, asking for a password first?

--
Neil Bothwick

You know the end of the world is near when the Spice Girls start
reproducing.