On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:22:20 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > I'll run the update again today, paying more attention, and see what
> > happens.
>
> What happened is it broke again, with no obvious signs of the cause.
> conf-update reported only trivial changes to three files.

I've just tried it on my netbook and the same happened, but I think I'm
closer to the cause. The three files in /etc/pam.d are login, passwd and
su. After updating, there were ._cfg* versions of these files, but no
originals, so conf-update just deleted them. It turns out these were
owned by shadow but now belong to pambase. I suspect that pambase
installed them as ._cfg versions, because the others already existed,
then shadow removed the originals as they were no longer part of the
package.

Whether this is a bug in portage, the ebuilds or conf-update is open to
debate, but conf-update ought to handle the situation better. I'll file a
bug later if no one beats me to it.

--
Neil Bothwick

Only an idiot actually READS taglines.