On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Chris Stankevitz
<chrisstankev...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed xfce4-meta and was a little surprised to see it did not
> come with thunar.   When I tried to install it, portage became upset.
>
> Question: is it normal that I would have to ~amd64 a bunch of packages
> and deal with slot conflicts and static-libs to install a file
> manager?  FYI I am running a "stable" (non-~AMD64) system.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Chris

<SNIP>

Hi Chris,
   I think you got your problem solved if my quick scan of this thread
is correct. However one comment I didn't see come up was to point out
that it can make a huge difference in terms of use flag choices
depending on which system profile you choose to orient your system
around. In the case of my wife's XFCE machine I found that using the
plain profile worked pretty well, but when I added KDE to it (I use
KDE when sitting on that machine) I needed to add a lot of use flags
and keyword a number of files. In the case of my own systems I choose
the KDE profile which ends up with most everything use flag oriented
pretty optimized for KDE. (No surprise.)

   Anyway, as you're new to Gentoo and looking for more in-depth
answers, I wanted to just make sure you at least considered the system
profile chosen and it's effect on what you have to do to emerge
packages.

Cheers,
Mark

k2 ~ # eselect profile list
Available profile symlink targets:
  [1]   default/linux/amd64/10.0 *
  [2]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/selinux
  [3]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop
  [4]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/gnome
  [5]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde
  [6]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/developer
  [7]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/no-multilib
  [8]   default/linux/amd64/10.0/server
  [9]   hardened/linux/amd64
  [10]  hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
  [11]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib
  [12]  hardened/linux/amd64/no-multilib/selinux
k2 ~ #