On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <can...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>=sys-fs/udev-171, which is stable. Are you sure you don't have
> anything in /etc/portage/package.keywords?

I know it sounds absurd, but... I have no package.keywords file.  My
package.use is small and benign.  My make.conf is also benign.  I am
using the default profile ([1] default/linux/amd64/10.10 *)

Emerge output is pretty clear:
- thunar (argument) is pulling in
- xfce-base/thunar-1.4.0[udev], which is pulling in
- gnome-base/gvfs-1.12.3 ~amd64
- which pulls in all kinds of stuff

This sure makes it look like I have gvfs in my package.keywords, but I
do not.  I promise!

This command:
find /usr/portage -name \*.ebuild | xargs grep gvfs-1.12

Returns these files:
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-core-libs/gnome-core-libs-3.4.1.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome/gnome-3.4.1.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gnome-light/gnome-light-3.4.1.ebuild
/usr/portage/gnome-base/gvfs/gvfs-1.12.*.ebuild

Weird.  I have no idea where the gvfs-1.12 dependency is coming in.
And "emerge -t" won't even tell me.  Portage is so upset about this it
will not even show me a tree (see original post in this thread).

> By the way, it will be difficult for you to find a stronger supporter
> of udev/systemd than myself; and I don't have the global udev flag
> set.

I don't really know what udev is (I know it holds actions to take when
certain USB devices are plugged... that's all I know).  I just added
global udev to obey the gentoo xfce install guide.  If I remove it
from make.conf, I can install thunar... but if I try to install
thunar-volman the problem returns (thunar-volman requires thunar with
udev)

Thank you,

Chris