On Saturday 02 Feb 2013 07:50:45 Dale wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I use Gtkam to get pics from my Canon camera.  I already put up with the
> fact that it crashes a LOT.  It really gets on my nerves but sort of
> getting used to that.  Now I have a new issue.  When I tell it to save a
> picture to say /home/dale/Desktop/Documents/Camera-pics/2013/Yard/ it
> always saves them to /home/dale.  It does this regardless of what I have
> asked it to save them too.

Is there a config file you can have a look at and see if it is hard coded in
there as the default saving path?

> This used to work fine when I had this sort
> of thing mounted on a directory called /data.  It would go something
> like this:  /data/Camera-pics/2013/Yard/  That would work fine.  When I
> got my shiney new 3Tb drive, I moved all that over to my home directory
> and ever since then, Gtkam saves to the wrong place.
>
> I have changed the permissions for /home/dale and EVERYTHING under it
> but still get the same thing.  I'm 99% sure it is not a permissions
> issue.  This is what permissions look like:
>
> drwxrwxr-x 27 dale users     4096 Dec  9  2009 2009
> drwxrwxr-x 37 dale users     4096 Nov 16  2011 2010
> drwxrwxr-x 31 dale users     4096 Dec 30  2011 2011
> drwxrwxr-x 20 dale users     4096 Nov 12 01:20 2012
> drwxrwxr-x  4 dale users     4096 Jan 30 03:00 2013
>
> [ebuild   R   ~] media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0  USE="debug nls -gimp -gnome"
>
> This is likely not Gtkam itself but some helper program.

Not sure of helper programs involved, but Gtkam is just the GUI front for
media-gfx/gphoto2.

> What could
> cause this?  Anyone else run into this?
>
> While I'm at it, I have tried other programs too. DigiKam crashes when I
> try to connect to my Camera to download.  It can't even think about
> getting pics.
>
> Thoughts?

Could this be a hardware fault with your camera; the USB cable; it's
powersupply?

--
Regards,
Mick