Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 02 Feb 2013 07:50:45 Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I use Gtkam to get pics from my Canon camera. I already put up with the
>> fact that it crashes a LOT. It really gets on my nerves but sort of
>> getting used to that. Now I have a new issue. When I tell it to save a
>> picture to say /home/dale/Desktop/Documents/Camera-pics/2013/Yard/ it
>> always saves them to /home/dale. It does this regardless of what I have
>> asked it to save them too.
>
> Is there a config file you can have a look at and see if it is hard
coded in
> there as the default saving path?
>

>> This used to work fine when I had this sort
>> of thing mounted on a directory called /data. It would go something
>> like this: /data/Camera-pics/2013/Yard/ That would work fine. When I
>> got my shiney new 3Tb drive, I moved all that over to my home directory
>> and ever since then, Gtkam saves to the wrong place.
>>
>> I have changed the permissions for /home/dale and EVERYTHING under it
>> but still get the same thing. I'm 99% sure it is not a permissions
>> issue. This is what permissions look like:
>>
>> drwxrwxr-x 27 dale users 4096 Dec 9 2009 2009
>> drwxrwxr-x 37 dale users 4096 Nov 16 2011 2010
>> drwxrwxr-x 31 dale users 4096 Dec 30 2011 2011
>> drwxrwxr-x 20 dale users 4096 Nov 12 01:20 2012
>> drwxrwxr-x 4 dale users 4096 Jan 30 03:00 2013
>>
>> [ebuild R ~] media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 USE="debug nls -gimp -gnome"
>>
>> This is likely not Gtkam itself but some helper program.
>
> Not sure of helper programs involved, but Gtkam is just the GUI front for
> media-gfx/gphoto2.

I found the config file, it was in .gphoto instead of gtkam.  That
helped.  I renamed it and it still does the same thing.  I played with
it a bit, it seems to just recall whatever was last used.  If I change
to a different directory, it just changes to the new location but still
saves to /home/dale even tho that is not what is recorded in the file.
So, it accepts what I tell it but does its own thing.  Weird.  This is
the new error with a shiney new config:

(gtkam:12081): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "clearlooks",

(gtkam:12081): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
module_path: "clearlooks",

(gtkam:12081): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with
non-zero page size is deprecated

(gtkam:12081): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with
non-zero page size is deprecated

Google was no help on this error either.

I noticed something else tho.  I don't have gphoto2 installed here.  I
have libgphoto2 tho.  Should I have gphoto2 installed too?

root@fireball / # emerge -pv gphoto2

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] dev-libs/cdk-5.0.20090215  USE="-examples" 420 kB
[ebuild  N     ] media-gfx/gphoto2-2.4.14  USE="exif ncurses nls
readline -aalib" 654 kB

Total: 2 packages (2 new), Size of downloads: 1,073 kB
root@fireball / #  equery list *photo*
 * Searching for *photo* ...
[IP-] [  ] media-gfx/kphotoalbum-4.2:4
[IP-] [  ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.5.0:0
root@fireball / # equery b gtkam
 * Searching for gtkam ...
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (/usr/share/images/gtkam)
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (/usr/share/gtkam)
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (/usr/bin/gtkam)
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (/usr/share/omf/gtkam)
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (/usr/share/gnome/help/gtkam)
root@fireball / # equery d libgphoto2
 * These packages depend on libgphoto2:
kde-base/kamera-4.9.5 (media-libs/libgphoto2)
media-gfx/digikam-2.9.0 (gphoto2 ? media-libs/libgphoto2)
media-gfx/gtkam-0.2.0 (>=media-libs/libgphoto2-2.5.0)
root@fireball / #

So, gtkam pulled in libgphoto2 but should it also pull in gphoto2?

>> What could
>> cause this? Anyone else run into this?
>>
>> While I'm at it, I have tried other programs too. DigiKam crashes when I
>> try to connect to my Camera to download. It can't even think about
>> getting pics.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> Could this be a hardware fault with your camera; the USB cable; it's
> powersupply?

I wondered the same thing, everything else works fine.  I have a printer
and a cell phone that I use with it and I have used other cameras with
the same results.  So, it is weird that other devices work error free
but cameras have issues.  It does make one wonder what is up with that.
I may try one of the older style ports that is for USB1 devices.  Then
again, I think the camera is for the newer ports.  May have to look in
the manual again to be sure.

Open to ideas still.

Dale

:-)  :-)