On Saturday 02 Feb 2013 15:16:02 Dale wrote:
> Mick wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 Feb 2013 07:50:45 Dale wrote:

> I found the config file, it was in .gphoto instead of gtkam.  That
> helped.  I renamed it and it still does the same thing.  I played with
> it a bit, it seems to just recall whatever was last used.  If I change
> to a different directory, it just changes to the new location but still
> saves to /home/dale even tho that is not what is recorded in the file.
> So, it accepts what I tell it but does its own thing.  Weird.

Did it have a path in there for saving your photos?

> I noticed something else tho.  I don't have gphoto2 installed here.  I
> have libgphoto2 tho.  Should I have gphoto2 installed too?

No.

gphoto2 is the CLI application for using libgphoto2.

gtkam is the GUI application for using libgphoto2.

> So, gtkam pulled in libgphoto2 but should it also pull in gphoto2?

No.  Both gtkam and gphoto2 depend on the libgphoto2 library.  Just different
user fronts to access the same engine.

> > Could this be a hardware fault with your camera; the USB cable; it's
> > powersupply?
>
> I wondered the same thing, everything else works fine.  I have a printer
> and a cell phone that I use with it and I have used other cameras with
> the same results.  So, it is weird that other devices work error free
> but cameras have issues.  It does make one wonder what is up with that.
> I may try one of the older style ports that is for USB1 devices.  Then
> again, I think the camera is for the newer ports.  May have to look in
> the manual again to be sure.
>
> Open to ideas still.

I would do some simple series of dd read/write tests to see how the flash card
of the camera behaves compared to other USB devices.  If there is a
significant difference then the problem is probably device/hardware related,
rather than the application you use to access it with.

Make sure you do not unplug it in haste.  It takes time for the I/O buffer to
empty when you are writing to it, despite what your terminal/GUI is telling
you.  If you have Gkrellms keep an eye on the Disk access to see when it
finished doing it and then unmount it cleanly.  I know you know all this, but
having been impatient myself and losing data I'd rather repeat it here, just
as a cautionary tale.  ;-)

--
Regards,
Mick