On Sunday 21 Jul 2013 10:21:45 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 10:14:22 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
> > What a lot of work!
>
> Yes, probably too much.
>
> > Oh, or I could sacrifice (part of) a swap partition to expand /boot
> > into.
>
> That would be easier, you could always add more swap from an LV, unless
> you use it for suspend.

I have more swap than I need, arranged thus:

$ grep swap /etc/fstab
/dev/sda3           none                swap    sw,pri=10              0 0
/dev/sdb3           none                swap    sw,pri=10              0 0
/dev/sda7           none                swap    sw,pri=1                0 0
/dev/sdb7           none                swap    sw,pri=1                0 0

...in which sdX3 is 2GB (not GBs, Dale - time doesn't come into it  ;-) ) and
sdX7 is 10GB. Thus the big swap areas are only used when necessary to compile
LO, Firefox and pals. I could easily halve sda3 and still have plenty of swap.

No, I don't suspend this box because it's permanently active running four
BOINC jobs at a time.

--
Regards,
Peter