On 09/13/2013 04:00 PM, Grant wrote:
> It's time to switch hosts.  I'm looking at the following:
>
> Dual Xeon E5-2690
> 32GB RAM
> 4x SSD RAID10
>
> This would be my first experience with multiple CPUs and RAID.  Advice
> on any of the following would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Are there any administrative variations for a dual-CPU system or do I
> just need to make sure I enable the right kernel option(s)?

Just enable it in the kernel.

> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
> controller?
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml

No need. Hardware RAID is handled on the RAID controller. Gentoo won't
even know about it.

LVM is (optionally) up to you.

> Since RAM is so nice for buffers/cache, how do I know when to stop
> adding it to my server?

Run `htop` every once in a while. If you're using it all and you're not
out of money, add more RAM. Otherwise, stop.

> Can I count on this system to keep running if I lose an SSD?

Yes. RAID10 both stripes and mirrors. So you can lose one, and it's
definitely mirrored on another drive. Now you have three drives. If you
lose another one, is it mirrored? Well, maybe, if you're lucky. There's
a 2/3 chance that the second drive you lose will be one of the remaining
mirror pair.

Recommendation: add a hot spare to the system.

> Is a 100M uplink enough if this is my only system on the LAN?

If you're using it all and you're not out of money, add more bandwidth.
Otherwise, stop.