>> http://blog.open-e.com/why-a-hot-spare-hard-disk-is-a-bad-idea/
>>
>> "Based on our long years of experience we have learned that during a
>> RAID rebuild the probability of an additional drive failure is quite
>> high – a rebuild is stressful on the existing drives."
>
> This is NOT true on a RAID 10... a rebuild is only stressful on the other
> drive in the mirrored pair, not the other drives.
>
> But, it is true for that one drive.

Why wouldn't it be true of RAID 10?  Each drive only has one mirror,
so if a drive fails, its only mirror will be stressed by the rebuild
won't it?

> That said, it would be nice is the auto rebuild could be scripted such that
> a backup could be triggered and the auto-rebuild queued until the backup was
> complete.
>
> But, here is the problem there... a backup will stress the drive almost as
> much as the rebuild, because all the rebuild does is read/copy the contents
> of the one drive to the other one (ie, it re-mirrors).
>
>> Instead, how about a 6-drive RAID 10 array with no hot spare?  My
>> guess is this would mean much greater fault-tolerance both overall and
>> during the rebuild process (once a new drive is swapped in).  That
>> would mean not only potentially increased uptime but decreased
>> monitoring responsibility.
>
> I would still prefer a hot spare to not... in the real world, it has saved
> me exactly 3 out of 3 times...

You would prefer 4-drive RAID 10 plus a hot spare to 6-drive RAID 10?
Isn't 6-drive RAID 10 superior in every way except for cost (1 extra
drive)?

- Grant