>> It's time to switch hosts.  I'm looking at the following:
>>
>> Dual Xeon E5-2690
>> 32GB RAM
>> 4x SSD RAID10
>>
>> This would be my first experience with multiple CPUs and RAID.  Advice
>> on any of the following would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
>> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
>> controller?
>>
>> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml
>
> No need. Hardware RAID is handled on the RAID controller. Gentoo won't
> even know about it.

I had no idea.  How awesome.  So the entire array shows up as /dev/sda
when using a real hardware controller?  Just enable an extra kernel
config option or two and it works?

>> Can I count on this system to keep running if I lose an SSD?
>
> Yes. RAID10 both stripes and mirrors. So you can lose one, and it's
> definitely mirrored on another drive. Now you have three drives. If you
> lose another one, is it mirrored? Well, maybe, if you're lucky. There's
> a 2/3 chance that the second drive you lose will be one of the remaining
> mirror pair.
>
> Recommendation: add a hot spare to the system.

Would the hot spare be in case I lose 2 drives at once?  Isn't that
extraordinarily unlikely?

Are modern SSDs reliable enough to negate the need for mirroring or do
they still crap out?

- Grant