>>> Would the hot spare be in case I lose 2 drives at once?  Isn't that
>>> extraordinarily unlikely?
>>
>> Not really. One fails and you don't notice for a while, or it takes a while
>> recover from it. Then a second one fails. You're up queer street.
>
> I like to do RAID6 now because I've been burned by this. The hot spare
> did work and automatically start rebuilding, but another drive failed
> during the rebuild process. Not that RAID6 will help if three drives
> fail, but hey.

This article references the same scenario:

http://blog.open-e.com/why-a-hot-spare-hard-disk-is-a-bad-idea/

"Based on our long years of experience we have learned that during a
RAID rebuild the probability of an additional drive failure is quite
high – a rebuild is stressful on the existing drives."

Instead, how about a 6-drive RAID 10 array with no hot spare?  My
guess is this would mean much greater fault-tolerance both overall and
during the rebuild process (once a new drive is swapped in).  That
would mean not only potentially increased uptime but decreased
monitoring responsibility.

- Grant