On Monday 30 June 2014 03:56:44 Dale wrote:
> Joost Roeleveld wrote:
> > On Monday 30 June 2014 15:40:02 microcai wrote:
> >> 在 2014年6月30日 星期一 09:17:02,Joost Roeleveld 写道:

> >> X-plane ?
> >
> > Not what I'm looking for.
> > That simulates 1:1 scale planes (full size).
> >
> > I am talking about one I can use to practice flying without risking my
> > real
> > planes on the first attempt. I need one where I can use my own transmitter
> > connected to the computer. There are cables to hook them up to the
> > USB-port.
> >
> > But the problem is finding a decent one that actually runs on Linux. All
> > the commercial ones I can find are MS Windows only.
> >
> > --
> > Joost
>
> Don't forget, there was a guitar that ran Gentoo Linux too.

I remember that one, still wondering about the point though, but that's just me
:)

>  Heck, did
> plane engines have puters even back then?  I know they do now, at least
> according to all the stuff I see on TV.  I don't think puter stuff
> started until like in the 80's or something tho.

They had computers during WWII, they used them to break the german encryption.

They appeared in planes not too long after:

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fly-by-wire
***
The first non-experimental aircraft that was designed and flown (in 1958) with
a fly-by-
wire flight control system was the Avro Canada CF-105 Arrow[1],^{[5][2][6][3]}
a feat
not repeated with a production aircraft until Concorde[4] in 1969. This system
also
included solid-state components and system redundancy, was designed to be
integrated with a computerised navigation and automatic search and track radar,
was
flyable from ground control with data uplink and downlink, and provided
artificial feel
(feedback) to the pilot.
***

Also:
https://airandspace.si.edu/exhibitions/america-by-air/online/jetage/jetage17.cfm

***
The first autopilots were used on airliners in the mid-1930s. In the late
1950s,
electronic computers became small enough to be used aboard aircraft.
Sophisticated
digital computers can now fly aircraft in virtually any situation, while
ensuring that all
systems are functioning properly.
***

> M$ Windoze.  Yuck!  I wouldn't put that stuff on my rig.

I do, for a few programs that aren't available on Linux (yet).
The flightsim for RC model planes is one of them.

--
Joost

--------
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow