J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> [14-09-30 19:40]:
> On 30 September 2014 16:12:31 CEST, Alec Ten Harmsel
> <a...@alectenharmsel.com> wrote:
> >
> >On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >> Suppose the GPS would already be attached
> >> to the board and works...
> >>
> >> Is there any free available software and data for
> >> strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
> >> to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
> >> map?
> >> I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
> >> GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
> >>
> >> Is something like that available for free or should
> >> I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> >> Best regards,
> >> mcc
> >>
> >The only project I know of that has openly available map data is
> >OpenStreetMap (openstreetmap.org). I know they have an API, and they
> >probably (not sure) have maps available for download.
> >
> >afaik the only way to combine various map data out of the box is to use
> >a GIS package like QGIS. You can write software to do this using the
> >proj4 library for an embedded box, not sure if anything for your
> >specific use case already exists and is open source.
> >
> >Alec
>
> Openstreetmap is a good bet.
>
> You might also have some luck if you look into PostGIS.
> It is an extension to postgresql, which might be overkill, but you might be
> able to use that in yiur Google searches.
>
> If borders would be nice and straight, it would be easy. Unfortunately they
> are not.
>
> --
> Joost
> --

...its a damn long way...of waiting, though...;)

I am currently downloading the data (Only Europe)...this will be a
journey of two days uninterrupted waiting.

And -- if murphy will be good to me -- only one file (there are two of
them) is the wrong one and has to replaced by another 20GByte file
lateron.

Will see....

revenge of the forgotten bytes"
;)