Matti Nykyri <matti.nyk...@iki.fi> [14-10-01 00:26]:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 08:12:38PM +0200, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> > Matti Nykyri <matti.nyk...@iki.fi> [14-09-30 19:44]:

> > > Sorry iphone send mail even if you don't wanna :/
> > >
> > > What you are considering doing is quite a challenge. What kind of
> > > coordinates does your gps module give you? The gps system works with
> > > cartesian x y z coordinates. Then these are usually displayed to the user
> > > in WGS-84. This is a quite hard mathematical problem (differential
> > > elliptical problem). Usually is done by your gps receiver and is
> > > approximated. GIS libraries have these functions built inside. Distances
> > > are easier and faster to calculate in cartesian coordinates. You need to
> > > calculate distance because coordinates from gps will never coincide with
> > > any address.
> > >
> > > Open street maps provides a very good start, but addresses have great
> > > differences in different countries. For example google misses addresses
> > > quite much depending on where you are searching. Getting the address
> > > right requires good locality from the program. Addresses and roads are
> > > vector maps. The fastest way to get address is to have the vector map of
> > > the world and then calculate distance to the closest address. The
> > > database will be huge :)
> > >
> > > Maps are usually raster pictures which have some projection. When you
> > > display them you can use 3d or 2d visual. In 3d (like google earth) you
> > > draw a sphere (or oblate spheroid) and draw textures on top of is to the
> > > right coordinates. In 3d everything needs to be converted to cartesian
> > > coordinates. Or in 2d you decide a projection and then convert the
> > > projection of your maps to this projection. After that it is just easy
> > > drawing. GIS libraries contain all the needed tools for these operations.
> > > There are a few of them with open source license.
> > >
> > > I have been doing some work with opengl 3d drawing maps. Good luck your
> > > project is quite big but it is sure very much fun :)
> > >
> > > --
> > > -Matti
> > >

> > YEAH! Matti is back! I saw your previous mail and thought: Oh
> > boy...Clint Eastwood is very talkative compared to /him/. ;;;)))
>
> Trashed the phone... and now back to the good old fashion terminal
> connection.
>
> > I am not /that/ serious this evening...sorry...
> > With all the help from this forum this evening I got by far more
> > working results as I have thought...
> >
> > But back to your mail:
> > The GPS module I plan to use is this one (by Adafruit, Lady Ada):
> > https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps/overview
> > From there (see link list on the left) you can also download
> > the manuals (pdf).
>
> Nice... MicroTek chipset. Quite easy to use.
>
> > I will not use this thing as a driving assistant or "navi" (is this
> > common speaking outside germany also...or is it one of those pseudo
> > english german words like "handy" for "cell phone"...dont laugh! This
> > time /I am/ serious! :) )

> [...]

Hi Matti,

thanks for your explanation. If I start struggling...you will receive
email (ok?) !

Blender:
The UV-Mapping of blender maps 2D-Images to whatever shaped things in
3D quite good...it is used for texturing.
Additionally Blender has a python API, so missing things can added.

Just a shot in the dark...

Best regards,
mcc