Matti Nykyri <matti.nyk...@iki.fi> [14-09-30 19:44]:
> [...]
>

> >> On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:
> >> Suppose the GPS would already be attached
> >> to the board and works...
> >>
> >> Is there any free available software and data for
> >> strict offline useage (which does NOT calls
> >> to home), which is able to map GPS data to a street/land
> >> map?
> >> I need both: The maps themselves and the logic to read
> >> GPS coordinates and map movements and ways to those maps.
> >>
> >> Is something like that available for free or should
> >> I directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
> >> Best regards,
> >> mcc
> > The only project I know of that has openly available map data is
> > OpenStreetMap (openstreetmap.org). I know they have an API, and they
> > probably (not sure) have maps available for download.
> >
> > afaik the only way to combine various map data out of the box is to use
> > a GIS package like QGIS. You can write software to do this using the
> > proj4 library for an embedded box, not sure if anything for your
> > specific use case already exists and is open source.
> >
> > Alec
>
> Sorry iphone send mail even if you don't wanna :/
>
> What you are considering doing is quite a challenge. What kind of coordinates
> does your gps module give you? The gps system works with cartesian x y z
> coordinates. Then these are usually displayed to the user in WGS-84. This is
> a quite hard mathematical problem (differential elliptical problem). Usually
> is done by your gps receiver and is approximated. GIS libraries have these
> functions built inside. Distances are easier and faster to calculate in
> cartesian coordinates. You need to calculate distance because coordinates
> from gps will never coincide with any address.
>
> Open street maps provides a very good start, but addresses have great
> differences in different countries. For example google misses addresses quite
> much depending on where you are searching. Getting the address right requires
> good locality from the program. Addresses and roads are vector maps. The
> fastest way to get address is to have the vector map of the world and then
> calculate distance to the closest address. The database will be huge :)
>
> Maps are usually raster pictures which have some projection. When you display
> them you can use 3d or 2d visual. In 3d (like google earth) you draw a sphere
> (or oblate spheroid) and draw textures on top of is to the right coordinates.
> In 3d everything needs to be converted to cartesian coordinates. Or in 2d you
> decide a projection and then convert the projection of your maps to this
> projection. After that it is just easy drawing. GIS libraries contain all the
> needed tools for these operations. There are a few of them with open source
> license.
>
> I have been doing some work with opengl 3d drawing maps. Good luck your
> project is quite big but it is sure very much fun :)

YEAH! Matti is back! I saw your previous mail and thought: Oh
boy...Clint Eastwood is very talkative compared to /him/. ;;;)))

I am not /that/ serious this evening...sorry...
With all the help from this forum this evening I got by far more
working results as I have thought...

But back to your mail:
The GPS module I plan to use is this one (by Adafruit, Lady Ada):
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps/overview
>From there (see link list on the left) you can also download
the manuals (pdf).

I will not use this thing as a driving assistant or "navi" (is this
common speaking outside germany also...or is it one of those pseudo
english german words like "handy" for "cell phone"...dont laugh! This
time /I am/ serious! :) )

Its more like a GPS data logger. I plan to copy the gathered data on
my PC later and I will try to "draw" them onto a map.
May be the results proof later, that I am able to walk through walls
and hovering over the face of the waters...;)

May be the UV-mappinga abillity of this 3D renderig program will help -- I am
using it for other purposes since 2006.
www.blender.org

Will see how far it will go. First step in progress will be acchived,
when I can read any data from the GPS module and they are not that
changing if I dont move and they will change when I move. The module
is ordered and will arrive -- I hope -- next week.

Best regards,
mcc