On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 19:06:32 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I didn't want to have the confusion of another version of emacs
> installed so resorted to use of:
>
> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided: like so:
>       app-editors/emacs-24
>
>  To tell portage about my home rolled emacs
>
> Well, that knocks down most of the unwanted pkgs but still as you see:
>
>   emerge -vp emacs-w3m
>
>     [ebuild  N     ] virtual/emacs-24  0 KiB
>     [ebuild  N     ] virtual/w3m-0  0 KiB
>     [ebuild  N     ] app-emacs/emacs-w3m-1.4.528_pre20140213
>
> `virtual/emacs-24' still hanging in there
>
> I didn't learn enough googling to understand what having that
> virtual/emacs-24 installed would mean.

Nothing really.

> Would it be possible headaches with emacs-25 installed outside
> portage.

Unlikely

> Can anyone say what that package actually does?

A virtual is a way for portage to have one of several option satisfy a
dependency. It doesn't install anything but depends on one of a number of
packages, in this case emacs and emacs-vcs. It means ebuild writers can
depend on emacs but leave you the choice of which brand of emacs to use.

Look at the ebuild, or look at the ebuild of virtual/editor to see what
a mess ebuilds would be without virtuals.

--
Neil Bothwick

WinErr 018: Unrecoverable error - System has been destroyed. Buy a new
one. Old Windows licence is not valid anymore.