On 02/02/2015 10:29 AM, Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:31 PM, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> For example, I had to add the rpcbind.service to the multi-user
>> systemd target because even nfs3 seems to need it.
>
> You must mean "because especially nfsv3 needs it" because,
> theoretically, nfsv4 doesn't need rpcbind since an nfsv4 mount only
> needs to now about rpc.nfsd's default port 2049.

Tom, you obviously know nfs better than I do, so maybe you can answer
this question for me.

This morning I got "waiting on lockfile foo in /usr/portage/distfiles"
"locking not available" from my nfs3 clients when trying to download
needed source files.

I worked around this failure by using the nfs nolock mount option, and
then I gave up and restored nfs4 to all my kernels and nfs-utils packages.

I don't recall having this problem back in my former nfs3-only days.
Maybe I've forgotten something obvious that I did back then?