On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 10:19 AM,  <waben...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation. My NFS servers are running Ubuntu 14.04.1
> LTS. Only my clients are gentoo systems. And on the clients I have no
> NFS 4 support in the kernel and I also don't have to specify nfsver=4.
> Maybe this problem only occurs with recent NFS versions on the server.

I've been running an nfs-root setup on a gentoo box (served from a
gentoo server) and I've run into a few issues along the way -
sometimes as a result of kernel upgrades.  Honestly, NFS seems like a
big bucket of fail to me - the older versions mostly work, but rely on
a cobblework of daemons/layers to provide various features and it is
completely insecure.  NFSv4 might as well be a completely different
filesystem and seems fairly complex to get working in a secure fashion
(kerberos, etc).  I could only imagine what it would be like to get it
to work for my root filesystem with PXE boot.

Whenever I run into people and talk to them about file servers on
linux it seems like they tend to end up just using samba (not even
POSIX) or something like sshfs (which is also a bit of a hack, but one
which seems far simpler to use).

It just seems like this is a huge gaping hole for linux to have.  That
said, fixing all the issues could have some far-reaching changes, like
switching to GUIDs for UIDs.

--
Rich