In my everyday work at the computer, I read
and type at three or even four different languages.

However, I do want to have all program menues
and system messages only in English.

So, when I found out that it can be achieved by
setting -nls USE flag at my make.conf file, I did
it, recompiled the system and for a few weeks
enjoyed the full control of my Gentoo system.

(As far as I can remember the gettext package
was successfully depcleaned from my Gentoo
system just after that.)

However, after those few weeks (and some system
updates), I have noticed that my system started
to translate some "system" messages into one of
the languages I use but which is not my native language.

Moreover, running
$ equery depends gettext
I get about two fullscreens of packages that supposedly
depend on gettext. Nevertheless, in all of them the -nls
USE flag is either unset or absent.

I have tried to depclean the gettext package from my
system once again but portage just ignored my
$ emerge --depclean gettext
command.

I think that it is some kind of a bug in the portage tree:
when I set -nls USE flag globally, I do expect that the "system"
messages will appear in English only and will not be translated
in any other language, but the system understands that as
I would have asked for a "non-native" language support.

Of course, this is not my main problem in this life, but every
time I get the "system" messages translated into my non-native
language, I feel as I get a reminder that I do not have a full
control of my Gentoo system.

So, my questions are:
1.  Is it a bug?
2. How can I get rid of those unwelcomed translations in the right way.