On 08/08/2015 22:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM, Heiko Baums <li...@baums-on-web.de> wrote:
>> Am 08.08.2015 um 21:30 schrieb Rich Freeman:
>>> This was the subject of extensive discussion and a council decision.
>>>
>>> The rationale for not configuring the installing of small files via a
>>> USE flag is that it would greatly increase the number of packages that
>>> would depend on that flag, and then when a user swtiches their
>>> configuration they're rebuilding half their system just for the sake
>>> of a few dozen single-inode files.
>>>
>>> If people want to set install masks they can.  However, this will come
>>> at the cost of having to rebuild half your system later if you change
>>> your mind.
>>
>> And what's the difference if I have to rebuild half my system because of
>> a USE flag or because of an INSTALL_MASK?
>
> It is recommended that users not set an INSTALL_MASK, so you won't
> have to rebuild anything if you don't do that.  If you care that much
> about inodes I'd probably get rid of /usr/portage before
> /usr/lib/systemd.  :)
>
> On the other hand, setting USE=systemd when you don't intend to use
> systemd is going to be more invasive in general for the packages that
> use that flag.  So, you probably wouldn't want to do that.
>
> I'm sure there were about 85 posts on the lists taking your side when
> this was debated before.  I'd suggest looking up the threads (about
> two years ago I think) rather than recreating them.

Two years? Was it that long ago? Feels like yesterday.

I recall the discussion well, and it was not pleasant. The only real
voice of sanity throughout was the final statement by the Council, who
very wisely shut up right until the end when it was obvious a definitive
decision was needed.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com