Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 08/08/2015 22:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> It is recommended that users not set an INSTALL_MASK, so you won't
>> have to rebuild anything if you don't do that.  If you care that much
>> about inodes I'd probably get rid of /usr/portage before
>> /usr/lib/systemd.  :)
>>
>> On the other hand, setting USE=systemd when you don't intend to use
>> systemd is going to be more invasive in general for the packages that
>> use that flag.  So, you probably wouldn't want to do that.
>>
>> I'm sure there were about 85 posts on the lists taking your side when
>> this was debated before.  I'd suggest looking up the threads (about
>> two years ago I think) rather than recreating them.
>>
> Two years? Was it that long ago? Feels like yesterday.
>
> I recall the discussion well, and it was not pleasant. The only real
> voice of sanity throughout was the final statement by the Council, who
> very wisely shut up right until the end when it was obvious a definitive
> decision was needed.

I think I found it.  The thread's subject line appears to be:  "Making
systemd more accessible to "normal" users"  The date is about May 2013.
At least that is the only thread I can find here locally.  My archives
and "USE=systemd".

If someone wants to go dig on Gmane or something, at least you know the
subject line to search for and a somewhat good time frame.

Dale

:-)  :-)