Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> writes:

> On Sat, Dec 26, 2015 at 9:14 AM, lee <l...@yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> They are connected to different vlans on the same switch, so they don't
>> share the same broadcast domain.  The switch shows the mac addresses of
>> the phones only in the expected vlan.
>>

> Out of curiosity, have you tried actually sending a broadcast on the
> VLAN to verify that it actually is implemented correctly?  If your
> switch is mixing ARP across VLANs that would explain this behavior.

Not yet --- and it won't exactly be an easy thing to do.

It's a high-quality switch.  If it couldn't keep vlans seperated, the
customers it was designed for would have them pretty much all replaced
under warranty.

> I've never messed with VLAN on linux but I'd think that you could

Me neither; so far, the switch does it.

> probably implement VLAN in software and actually save yourself a
> physical network interface as well (both interfaces could go out over
> the same wire and be handled appropriately by the switch).

Hm.  That might even be possible, in a very complicated setup.  Maybe
some day, I can do that, after lots of learning.