james schrieb:
On 08/10/2016 06:54 AM, hw wrote:

Hi,

I´m trying to upgrade portage because I´m getting a message that it
needs to be able to work with EAPI 6 packages and can only do EAPI 5.

I´m running into merge conflicts when trying to update portage, and
apparently one of the packages (dev-python/cryptography) I could try
to update first to be able to update portage requires a version of
portage that can handle EAPI 6 packages.

How can upgrade portage?

You might want to read these docs on how to upgrade an old system, in steps,
not all at once::

http://blog.siphos.be/2013/12/upgrading-old-gentoo-installations/

http://dev.gentoo.org/~swift/snapshots/

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_Gentoo#Upgrading_from_older_systems

Yet another approach.

Thanks --- if I update, I´ll probably try this step-by-step method.  It
seems to be the most promising way.