On Tuesday, August 16, 2016 04:29:45 PM hw wrote:
> Neil Bothwick schrieb:
> >>
> >> About 1.5 years --- not really a long time.
> >
> > You're kidding, right? You're running a production server without the
> > last 18 months' worth of security updates?
>
> What can you do when you don´t have the time to do the updates, especially
> when you know that they will give you trouble and can take all day or even
> longer.

My workstation updates on a cron job every day at 6PM. I check my email in the
morning to see if it ran into any trouble, correct whatever it complained
about, and let it try again the next evening.

Now, I wouldn't do that on a server...but I *would* orchestrate server updates
with Gentoo, albeit it would take a significant amount of smarts in my
automation efforts, and lots of integration testing and a couple manual steps.

--
:wq