On Saturday 13 Aug 2016 16:26:21 hw wrote:
> Andreas K. Hüttel schrieb:
> > If you see this now, your production server hasn't been updated for a
> > long time...
>
> About 1.5 years --- not really a long time.

Au contraire. In a Gentoo world, this is comparable with the age of the
universe. And leaving it that long almost guarantees that you'll have
problems. (I update my system daily, but that's because I don't have
anything more useful to do with my time.  :)  )

> > As a last resort, you should be able to run a "non-installed" portage
> > version to update your system once. Manually download and unpack a
> > recent portage tarball somewhere temporary and then run as root
> > something like
> >
> > porto tmp # ./portage-2.3.0/bin/emerge -uDNav world
> >
> > This can update your system to the newest state, including updating the
> > installed portage. Afterwards you won't need the temporarily unpacked
> > portage anymore.
> >
> > Disclaimer: I haven't tested this for a while. It may delete your data,
> > kill kittens or turn the sun into a nova. No guarantees made.
>
> Interesting idea :)  I´d be afraid that this version of portage might
> find files of the regular installation and get confused and kill the
> kittens ...

That's the idea, isn't it? You need it to root out the out-of-date bits and
substitute new ones. It sounds like a rational scheme to me, especially if
you quickpkg portage to keep some kittens wrapped up in the warm.

--
Rgds
Peter