Andreas K. Hüttel schrieb:

Am Mittwoch, 10. August 2016, 12:54:37 schrieb hw:
Hi,

I´m trying to upgrade portage because I´m getting a message that it
needs to be able to work with EAPI 6 packages and can only do EAPI 5.

I´m running into merge conflicts when trying to update portage, and
apparently one of the packages (dev-python/cryptography) I could try
to update first to be able to update portage requires a version of
portage that can handle EAPI 6 packages.

How can upgrade portage?

If you see this now, your production server hasn't been updated for a long
time...

About 1.5 years --- not really a long time.

As a last resort, you should be able to run a "non-installed" portage version
to update your system once. Manually download and unpack a recent portage
tarball somewhere temporary and then run as root something like

porto tmp # ./portage-2.3.0/bin/emerge -uDNav world

This can update your system to the newest state, including updating the
installed portage. Afterwards you won't need the temporarily unpacked portage
anymore.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this for a while. It may delete your data, kill
kittens or turn the sun into a nova. No guarantees made.

Interesting idea :)  I´d be afraid that this version of portage might
find files of the regular installation and get confused and kill the
kittens ...