Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2016-12-08, Kevin Monceaux <ke...@rawfeddogs.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 07, 2016 at 06:42:21PM -0500, Alan Grimes wrote:
>>
>>> --> X11 would probably need to be shut down two which is equivalent to a
>>> reboot on a desktop system anyway.
>>
>> Shutting down X11 doesn't appear to be equivalent to a reboot on my desktop.
>> If I shut down X11, my uptime still keeps accumulating.
>
> I think he meant that from a "desktop productivity" standpoint, the
> two are the same: you have to close every single program you are using
> and then start over.

It's an annoyance factor.

When I have to shut down the X11 session, I can as well reboot.  There's
enough software that can not reasonably be run within tmux.

It's like having to entirely clear out your fridge and/or freezer every
couple days because it needs to be rebooted, and then putting everything
back in.  Who would put up with that?