>> Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I built my current rig just a few years ago.  It has one ethernet port
>>> on it.  Since it didn't work right, bad drivers I guess, I added a card
>>> to have the second port.  The rig I built before that, it also had one
>>> ethernet port.
>>>
>>> I might add, I didn't buy a "crappy board" either.  The first was Abit
>>> which was the top rated brand at the time and my current board is
>>> Gigabyte, another highly rated board at the time I bought it.
>> I have no experience with Abit, and I can tell you from experience with
>> a couple of them that Gigabyte is the worst junk for a board you can
>> buy and that their support has no idea what they are doing.
>
> Well, I have two of them and they work just fine.  I might add, Abit
> gave me many years of 24/7 service.  Being outdated was its only
> problem.  Also, Gigabyte and Asus were the top rated boards when I
> bought my board.  Some who have been here long enough may even recall me
> posting my buy list here on this mailing list.  So, you thinking
> Gigabyte is junk can go in the same place as your thinking two ports on
> every board is the default.   It's your opinion and not based on
> reality.   I've learned the same usually applies to hard drives as well.

You must be assuming that the Gigabyte boards I've had my hands on
somehow existed outside of reality.

>>> As Daniel
>>> points out, you have to get into some pretty high end boards before you
>>> get two ethernet ports.
>>>
>>> Just for giggles, I went and looked at Asus boards, currently highly
>>> rated.  I had to get up around the $400 range to find two ports.  Most
>>> computers built for home use, and even some, maybe most, business
>>> computers, only have one port.  It's all they need.
>>>
>>> I might also add, I have a lot of friends that give me their old
>>> computers.  Of all the puters I have ever seen, they had one ethernet
>>> port.  Over the past decade or so, I've likely stripped out a few dozen
>>> computers for parts.  Not one of them had two ethernet ports.
>>>
>>> I'm with Daniel on this one.
>> The last time I got a board that didn't have two ports is about 20 years
>> ago, and I never bought one for 400.  They all just have 2, needed or
>> not, even cheap ones.
>>

> Odd.  Just for giggles, I went to Newegg.  I pulled up both AMD and
> Intel boards.  I then looked at the pictures of the top sellers listed
> there.  With my settings, it lists 36 on each page.  Out of the first
> page for each type, only a couple or so had two ports and only one that
> I saw was under $200.00.  The rest were more expensive than that.  I
> think that one $200.00 board was a Gigabyte by the way.  I doubt you
> want to claim owning that, right?  Looked at 72 boards, only found a
> couple or so with two ethernet ports.
>
> So, looking at a large website that has likely millions of customers,
> carries about every brand of board there is, I could only find a very
> small percentage of boards that have two ethernet ports built in.  That
> is not what a reasonable person would call the default.  If it was the
> default as you claim, then there should only be a few that don't have
> two ports.  You add in that Daniel, Taiidan and myself have not seen
> such a default, then I think you are mistaken.

That may very well be so, yet the boards around here usually have two
ports.  If the ones around you usually have one port, it's not
surprising that you would assume a different default number of ports.
So what?