On 12/19/2016 05:50 PM, Dale wrote:

lee wrote:
Daniel Frey <djqf...@gmail.com> writes:

On 12/19/2016 10:15 AM, lee wrote:
"Walter Dnes" <waltd...@waltdnes.org> writes:

   Similarly, the vast majority of home users have a machine with one
ethernet port, and in the past it's always been eth0.
Since 10 years or so, the default is two ports.
Not in any of the computers I've built. Generally only high end or
workstation/server boards have two ports.

i.e. not what the typical home user would buy.
It is not reasonable to assume that a "typical home user" would want a
computer with a crappy board to run Linux on it (or for anything
else). If they are that cheap, they're better off buying a used one.
When they are sufficiently clueless to want something like that, what
does it matter what the network interfaces are called.

I built my current rig just a few years ago.  It has one ethernet port
on it.  Since it didn't work right, bad drivers I guess, I added a card
to have the second port.  The rig I built before that, it also had one
ethernet port.

I might add, I didn't buy a "crappy board" either.  The first was Abit
which was the top rated brand at the time and my current board is
Gigabyte, another highly rated board at the time I bought it.  As Daniel
points out, you have to get into some pretty high end boards before you
get two ethernet ports.

Just for giggles, I went and looked at Asus boards, currently highly
rated.  I had to get up around the $400 range to find two ports.  Most
computers built for home use, and even some, maybe most, business
computers, only have one port.  It's all they need.

I might also add, I have a lot of friends that give me their old
computers.  Of all the puters I have ever seen, they had one ethernet
port.  Over the past decade or so, I've likely stripped out a few dozen
computers for parts.  Not one of them had two ethernet ports.

I'm with Daniel on this one.

Dale

:-)  :-)
I too have never seen a non server board with more than one embedded network interface. I have an expensive server board that features two ethernet ports but I really hate the removal of the ethX scheme, sometimes they get detected in the wrong order and ethX is way easier to type than ens1s0 or what not.

It is just another swell example of the pottering-eqsue corruption of the free software movement.