On 2017-06-30 21:33, james wrote:

> ~/.config/qupzilla/profiles/default/bookmarks.json
>
>  is the operable file for qupzilla (I think). I do not know the history
> or many details of qupzilla, I emerged it and it works, without the
> politics of larger browsers; ymmv.

That's the name of the backup file into which both firefox and palemoon
dump bookmarks.  I think you're mixing different kinds of fruit here.

(BTW, this is the file I use to transport the bookmarks between my 2
computers.)

> Palemoon, is something you know far more about, but my guess is::
> ~/.moonchild productions/pale moon/vjhi8n7h.default/places.sqlite
>
> which is in non-text form.
>
> I'm not sure how the 'profile' works to control these bookmarks?

Each profile has its own places file under its profile directory.  Here,
vjhi8n7h.default is the profile directory.

> These files are differnt, so a simlink is not going to work?

See above - the json is just a dump (for palemoon, anyway), the sqlite
file is the ultimate source.

> I rather like the json file as it is efficient and easy to read for
> comprehension and grepping.  I'm not quite sure why a sqlite file is
> needed.

Searching would probably be too slow if you have many bookmarks.  I
probably have in the tens of thousands now.  Note that you need multiple
kinds of searches - by name, by URL and by tags, just what SQL is good at.

> A uniform bookmarks system, where the user masters and controls their
> bookmarks, beyond any browser uses, is a keen idea, imho.

In older versions of debian, there was a package that looked like a good
start towards this goal.  I'm no longer sure of the name but I think it
was xbel.  It stored the data in a XML file.  It's not in debian now but
maybe it is still around, try a web search.