X is started by lxdm, which is started by an /etc/local.d/ script. I removed
that, after reboot I no longer see X processes, but no conole except for SSH.
Syslog still shows the nvidia module being loaded. I removed 'modules' from
boot runlevel, nvidia is still loaded. I unmerged nvidia-drivers, nvidia still
loaded. This is puzzling me.

> Can you check, whether /dev , /proc , /sys and other directories of a special
> function are created and filled correctly?
> Are the permissions ok?
> Is /run available and setup correctly?

To the best of my knowledge yes, they look fine.

> Are there any leftovers from the root@hd in /etc/fstab?

I rewrote fstab using UUID instead of /dev/sdx, there shouldn't be problems
there.

> If you get to console successfully, is it possible to start X from the
> commandline? What is printed on the terminal?
> What does X.log say?

No console except SSH. I'm not sure I can invoke startx from an SSH.

Thanks,

raffaele