On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 4:38:11 PM CET Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-02-05, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> The main barrier is that its license isn't GPL-compatible.  It is
> >> FOSS, but the license was basically designed to keep it from being
> >> incorporated into the mainline kernel.
> >
> > Which isn't as much of an issue as it sounds. You can still add it
> > into the initramfs and can easily load the module.
>
> What if you don't use an initrd?
>
> I presume that boot/root on ext4 and home on ZFS would not require an
> initrd?

Yes, that wouldn't require an initrd. But why would you limit this?
ZFS works best when given the FULL drive.

For my server, I use "bliss-initramfs" to generate the initramfs and have not
had any issues with this since I started using ZFS.

Especially the ease of generating snapshots also make it really easy to roll
back an update if anything went wrong. If your root-partition isn't on ZFS,
you can't easily roll back.

--
Joost