Michael wrote:
> On Sunday, 28 April 2024 13:57:23 BST Dale wrote:
>
>> I just got to figure out how to make it so I can login as root via ssh
>> again.  I set PermitRootLogin to yes in ssh config but still refuses.  I
>> did it on my NAS box but can't recall what else I had to do.
> Just checking the obvious, did you start sshd?
>
> Is a port open and listening for ssh connections (use nc, telnet, nmap to
> find
> out).
>
> Will it let you login as a plain user, then 'su' to run as root?
>
> Make sure the plain user is in the wheel group.

Right now, I can login as a user then su to root, and password.  I just
can't login as root directly.  I use Dolphin and the fish thingy to
access config files etc so I can use Kwrite to edit files etc.  Thing
is, I have to login as root for some files.  No way to su to root with
Dolphin, that I know of anyway.

I'm pretty sure I set this up on the old NAS box.  My searches shows the
PermitRootLogin set to yes should do it but I guess I missed something.

Any ideas?  I did search old threads but only found the option above,
mentioned by Neil I think.

Dale

:-)  :-)