On Thursday, 2 May 2024 00:45:29 BST Dale wrote:
> Grant Edwards wrote:

> >> I noticed the other day that some new ones was added.  I always leave it
> >> as 8300 and it works.  It even works for swap.  I dunno.

In the legacy DOS partition tables the space available was limited to 32 bits,
while the GPT table specification provides 128 bytes for each block entry.
The extra space can be used to store information related to the intended OS
usage of each partition, by adding the corresponding Partition Type UUID.

This has a number of benefits, described here:

https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/
discoverable_partitions_specification/

Besides the automation this feature affords, I find it useful to know what a
partition contains without having to mount it.  On GPT labelled disks I make
use both of the Partition Type UUID and the Partition Name.  A quick glance at
the gdisk output and if need be its 'i' option has saved my day from
formatting the wrong partition more than once!  ;-)