Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2024-05-01, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:
>>
>>> The partition type code for 'swap' is wrong -- it should be
>>> 8200. According to the gdisk help info Linux /home is supposed to be
>>> 8302, but I've always used the same generic "Linux filesystem" type
>>> for both /home and root.
>>>
>>> Is the 'boot' partition for future possible UEFI use, for Linux /boot,
>>> or both?  [I've never used a separate partition for Linux /boot, I
>>> just use a /boot directory on the root FS.]
>> I noticed the other day that some new ones was added.  I always leave it
>> as 8300 and it works.  It even works for swap.  I dunno.
> If you have an entry in /etc/fstab for swap, it might not matter if
> the partition type is set to 'Linux swap' or not. I always set the
> swap parition type to 'Linux swap', and then it doesn't seem to matter
> if there's a swap entry in the fstab or not.

I tend to put everything in fstab.  It's the way it was when I started
and I just keep doing it that way.  It could be that it isn't needed
anymore tho.

>> The /boot is where kernels and init thingys go.  Keep in mind, this is
>> on a old rig that has no idea what UEFI is.  When I build my new rig
>> later, I'll do a install from scratch anyway.  Also, it will go on a SSD.
> OK, so 'boot' is for the Linux /boot directory.  I was just curious
> since I had never used one.

I've used one ever since I started using Linux and it's as much habit as
anything.  Given the size of drives nowadays, I have started putting
/usr and /var on the root partition.  When I build my new rig tho, odds
are /var will be on its own partition.  That way if a log file goes
wonky, it can fill it up and not really do any harm.

>> I mostly want to post so that a person can see the layout.  Really, the
>> first one is what a person wanting to use GPT on a old BIOS system needs
>> to see.  After that, they can do partitions anyway they want.
> Right.

I'm to the good part of the install now.  With the partition layout
shown earlier, I get this.

(chroot) livecd / # grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for i386-pc platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.
(chroot) livecd / #

When I did that before, it puked on my keyboard.  This time with that
little unformatted partition, it just installed it.  So, muddy waters
pretty clear now.  :-D

Dale

:-)  :-)