Michael wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 May 2024 00:45:29 BST Dale wrote:
>> Grant Edwards wrote:

> In the legacy DOS partition tables the space available was limited to 32
> bits,
> while the GPT table specification provides 128 bytes for each block entry.
> The extra space can be used to store information related to the intended OS
> usage of each partition, by adding the corresponding Partition Type UUID.
>
> This has a number of benefits, described here:
>
> https://uapi-group.org/specifications/specs/
> discoverable_partitions_specification/
>
> Besides the automation this feature affords, I find it useful to know what a
> partition contains without having to mount it.  On GPT labelled disks I make
> use both of the Partition Type UUID and the Partition Name.  A quick glance
> at
> the gdisk output and if need be its 'i' option has saved my day from
> formatting the wrong partition more than once!  ;-)

I always use labels which show up with cgdisk.  If I'm unsure how I
partitioned a drive for some reason, I just check it with cgdisk to see
what is what.  I use labels even tho a lot of the time I put UUIDs in
fstab.  I do similar when using LVM as well.

There is more than one way to organize things tho.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)