On 02/05/2024 11:46, Peter Humphrey wrote:
When I started using Linux, the received wisdom was to keep a separate /boot,
and leave it unmounted during normal operation. The idea was that a successful
hacker would not, supposedly, be able to corrupt the kernel ready for a reboot
into their system.

And you can't have /boot on your system partition if, like me, you have one instance of grub booting into several different OSs or distros ... Less so now, but having multiple distros on one system was a popular hobbyist pastime!

(One distro's system partition is another distro's data partion :-)

Cheers,
Wol