John Jolet schreef:

>> Ummm... isn't there supposed to be a system.map for the kernel as
>> well?
>>
>> I myself don't manually copy my kernels after compiling it; I use
>> make install to do so, and I have the following files in /boot for
>> all my kernels:
> I've never done anything with a system.map.  I manually copy it
> myself to allow me to name them whatever I want.

Well, that's my point, sort of... what exactly do you copy, and has that
file been copied to Gilberto's /boot folder? From my /boot listing
previously, you can see that even SUSE creates a system.map in the /boot
folder, and that's a precompiled kernel (so it's not like it's copying
manually or via make install). So I kinda suspect that it's a needed
file across all distros, whatever it may be called.... and, looking in
/usr/src/linux, it is a separate file from the bzImage file, which is
the actual compiled kernel. The fact that the make install command also
finds it necessary to copy this file from /usr/src/linux to /boot is not
to be sneezed at either, imo.

Holly