On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 08:55:29 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 07:39:56 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running an update world.  I have cryptsetup in stalled.
>>> emerge -vpuD  world tells me crypsetup is blocking cryptsetup-luks.
>>>
>>> [blocks B ] sys-fs/cryptsetup (is blocking sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks-1.0.1-r2)
>>> [blocks B ] sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks (is blocking sys-fs/cryptsetup-0.1-r3)
>>>

>>> I don't really want to install cryptsetup-luks since cryptsetup seems
>>> to be working just fine and I'd sooner just keep it.
>>>
>>> How can I tell this to portage?
>>
>> Seems like you already have cryptsetup-luks installed. Try unmerging luks
>> and then updating cryptsetup. Perhaps something else you emerge depended
>> on luks.
>>
>> Prior to unmerging, try
>>
>> equery depends cryptsetup-luks
>>
>> and see what pops up.
>>

> Seems to be the other way round:
> esearch cryptsetup:
> *  sys-fs/cryptsetup
>       Latest version available: 0.1-r3
>       Latest version installed: 0.1-r3
>
> *  sys-fs/cryptsetup-luks
>       Latest version available: 1.0.1-r2
>       Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
>
> Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> snip....
>> http://luks.endorphin.org//gentoo
>>
>> may shed some light.
>
> It appears from this I should probably uninstall cryptsetup and let
> cryptsetup-luks get installed.

Well, before that, try and examine each module that is to be emerged and
see which ones want luks. Perhaps there is a broken ebuild which is
causing the problem. Normally, there are checks that prevent this kind of
circular error.

Do emerge -puNDvt world and see where luks is showing. There is no need
for luks unless you specifically need it. That's what the emerge command
will show.

Good luck
--
Peter