"Daniel da Veiga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> You don't need the audio-cable to hear music from a cd - just the right
>> application ;)
>
> Oh yeah, you really don`t need the cable, it just makes things easier,
> because it will work with all applications, won`t send data using the
> system bus neither process it using the CPU, the CD drive will do all
> the work and send output directly to the soundcard, the volume manager
> of the soundcard with the "CD audio" label will work and some other
> benefits.
>
> But that`s just me. I want my hardware to do the stuff it should.

With a cable, you will (at least with some/most sound cards) have a
digital-analog conversion in the drive, an analog-digital conversion in
the sound card, and another digital-analog conversion on output from the
sound card.

With digital extraction you will just have the last digital-analog
conversion. Guess what sounds best.

A third option: most drives have a digital output connector, and most
sound cards have a digital input connector.
--
Hilsen Harald.