On Saturday 13 May 2006 03:19, "wu chuanwen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
about 'Re: [gentoo-user] cause jdk1.5 emerge tomcat error!':
> 2006/5/13, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Change your system javac to a 1.4 for the emerge of commons-daemon.
> > The resulting class/jar files will run in a 1.5 vm -- since enum and
> > assert (introduced in 1.4) are both still valid identifiers in
> > bytecode under a 1.5 vm.
>
> How can i change my javac to 1.4?

Use java-config.

> You mean re-emerge sun-jdk1.4?

You will have to have /a/ 1.4 javac, not necessarily Sun's.

> Is
> there any other ways?

Sure, write and apply a patch to tomcat that removes all uses of enum as an
identifier.  For extra points, submit it back to the community.

Or write and apply a patch to tomcat's native build process and/or the
ebuild so that '--source 1.4' and possibly '--target 1.4' is passed to
javac whenever it is called.  I'd say give this back to the community,
too, but we probably don't want it:  Passing those options unconditionally
breaks backwards compatibility and forward progress.

--
"If there's one thing we've established over the years,
it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest